The assignment was to create a custom 3in diameter sides truncated octahedron using either bristol paper or on Maya. The picture above is my prototype of the paper octahedron.
What I learned from this assignment was that Maya is easier and has more options since it can create shapes that cannot be cut on paper but doing it on paper gives you the satisfaction of completing it the hard way and you get to keep something out of it.
The octahedron I created is a prototype and it is far from being perfect when you look at it up close and in person but from a photographer point of view, it looks great with proper lighting.
Experimenting with the 3D printers we recently got in our 3D class
For this assignment, we were to create a 11x6x8 box with a foreground, middleground, and a background, then light it to create depth, as well as to play with the shadows to manipulate contrast and composition.
First thing’s first, the original picture is not my work and I do not own the copyright of that image. It belongs to Diggie Vitt, a photographer I follow on Flickr. Here’s a link to his work, http://www.flickr.com/photos/86035056@N05/
I chose this picture to do the shadowbox on because it was simple, it has one of my favorite kind of lighting in it, and it works very well with the fore/mid/back ground. It’s a simple design and it didn’t take me long to construct at all. This assignment was all about lighting, so I didn’t really need to make a overly intricate design with the cuts, proper lighting was what made this complete.
For the lighting, I used 1 light (hot light) bouncing off the white acrylic in the back through a tracing paper which is taped to the back of the shadow box to give off a nice diffused light.
What I could’ve done was to put a small hard light beneath the moon in the back to create that highlight as in the original picture. Rim lighting on the foreground is also missing and I suppose I could experiment with razing the edges on the foreground to catch some light from the back. But nonetheless, overall I think this assignment was a success.
First assignment in 3D Design class. To create 5 shapes: tetrahedron, cube, Octahedron, dodecahedron, and Icosahedron.
Only 4 of them are displayed in the picture since I ran out of bristol at the time of the mini photoshoot. The last figure, dodecahedron, was finished shortly after after 30mins of searching through google and youtube trying to figure out how to draw a pentagon.
The cube was the first figure I made and it turned out I was short a few tabs, so it was not air tight as it should be. Another problem I encountered was that glue stick sucks… I quickly moved on to rubber cement, which was the only option I had unless I use tape. Rubber cement worked well in terms of cleanliness and adhesiveness, but the problem was that It took forever to dry and I had to hold down each tab for at least a full minute each after applying a thin layer of rubber cement with a toothpick to the tabs.